I love the way this nursery bedding I made for my great-nice, Claire, turned out. I LOVE the fabric colors and prints. The whole nursery is "shabby chic", with the white Jenny Lind bed, aqua walls, and flea market finds.
One thing I've learned is that you absolutely have to measure the bed before cutting the fabric. In this case, the mattress was a little higher off the floor than what the pattern allowed for, so I had to add several inches AFTER I'd constructed the dust ruffle. I wanted the ruffles to cascade on the floor, not hang a couple inches off the floor. Making a custom sheet to match the bedding is easy and really pretty cost effective. It really helps pull the whole look together.
The quilt, again, was made according to the actual measurements of the crib and not according to a pattern. The top is made of squares (I think they're 4") in two of the coordinates and the back is soft pink minkee type fabric, with the baby's name embroidered in a dainty font in the corner. A ruffle (left over from the dust ruffle) ties it together.
Because the back of the quilt is minkee type fabric, I didn't "quilt" it. I took a few machine stitches in each corner where the blocks met. I didn't want to see any stitching on the back. I didn't tack in the area of the embroidered name. The batting I used will stay in place during use and washing with just those stitches.