Chevron print and Peasant Dresses are "in" right now. I made a Peasant style tunic top and capri pants for Journey and a pillowcase dress for Willow. The applique pattern has ric-rac included in the design. While it turned out ok, I haven't included a link and wouldn't recommend this particular design, as it didn't stitch out perfectly. The one on the left is 6x10 size and the one on the right is 4x4 size. I added the bow after the applique was complete.
The pattern for the peasant top called for casings with elastic inserted at the neck, sleeves, and waist. I used elastic thread and shirred the sleeves and waist. It looks and works so much better for a child. The casing and elastic just added too much bulk. Also, the pattern did not call for a "ruffle" at the sleeves and neck. I used a rolled hem on the serger on the raw edge. At the neck instead of folding over the seam allowance to form a casing I used bias tape stitched on the fold line. This left the seam allowance to hem to produce the ruffle, which I really like better.