Since this jacket was for a "tween" I used sweet and fun flower appliques from BunnyCup Embroidery. It was free! It stitched out very nicely and I resized it with no problems. It's amazing how many free designs are out there.
The brown print was a small amount bought years ago to "audition" for baby bedding. It was ultimately not used for that purpose and I've since used just about all of it up. I had just enough for this project. I didn't have quite enough for true bias tape, so I had to make due with simple foldover. If you look closely at the neckline you can see that bias would have been better, but... I used the same fabric as a ruffle at the sleeve.
In this close-up of the closure you can see that I used a black hair elastic and two covered buttons. The one on the left anchors the elastic and the one on the right is the one the elastic goes around to secure. (not sure if that even makes sense, but it's late). I love covered buttons and they're so easy and cheap to make!
|Close-up of the appliqued flowers.|