I went to a yard sale of a former crafter, a lady who had a small home based business, and she had TONS of fabric, among other things, for sale. It was in huge boxes, all mixed together. She wanted to sell it all in lots so I had to take what was in the box. One fabric in the mix was a lacey knit in a hot pink print. I couldn't imagine that I would ever find a use for it, but eventually I realized it would be perfect for a nightgown. I had some hot pink stretch lace that I'd ordered off the internet for another project which matched perfectly.
At another yard sale I found some batik fabrics which were about $2 per yard. She had quite a bit for sale but wouldn't bargain on it so I only got two pieces of about 2 yards each cause I really didn't want to pay that much. I made a top out of one piece (I'll show it in a later post) and used the other for a comfortable nightgown. I washed the batik and machine dried it so that I wouldn't have to worry about shrinkage later.
I used McCalls 5248 for both of the nightgowns pictured. The pattern calls for lace trim at bodice top so I followed the pattern directions for the pink one. When I was done and tried it on I realized it was too big (gapped in the back but ok everywhere else) so I made a casing and added a piece of 1/4" elastic to the back, which took care of that issue.
For the batik nightgown, I didn't have any matching lace so I made a bias tape and enclosed the raw edge of the bodice front with it and used it for the straps. I like the way the stretch lace on the pink nightgown 'gives' for the straps much better than the straps made from the fabric. I already knew this batik nightgown would be too big in the back but decided to add rows of shirring instead of the elastic. Because this nightgown is cut on the bias you're supposed to hang it up to set the bias and hem it the next day, but after serging the bottom edge I just didn't feel like it was necessary to hem it.
|Finished edges - stretch lace and bias tape|