Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Another Quilt As You Go Table Runner


I'm officially in love with making Quilt As You Go table runners. They are SO fast and easy. I bought a Charm Pack from Nancy's Notions sometime this year when it was on clearance, for like $2.50. It's by Deb Strain for Moda, but that's all I can remember. Anyway, the colors and designs are so modern. I originally thought I would use this to make a patchwork dress/jumper for Journey for Christmas, but after tearing up the attic looking for that pattern (I'd saved it from a Woman's Day magazine from the early 80's), I abandoned that idea. Maybe next year for that project.


I arranged the squares the way I wanted them and then sewed three together to make a strip. I then cut the red broadcloth into strips two inches wide for the sashing. I layered quilt batting over the backing fabric and used temporary spray adhesive (which I use in machine embroidery quite often) to hold them in place. Since this is a short runner (36") I started at one end with a red sashing strip. I stitched as described in my previous post about QAYG table runners. Pressed for time (surprised?) I serged the edges then stitched jumbo red ric rac to the edges. We use this ric rac all the time in making dresses for little girls for sale. We buy it at Hobby Lobby when it's half price. Each roll holds about 9 yards or maybe it's 9 feet, anyway, it's about $2 per roll and comes in a lot of fun colors. The first time I used it I washed and dried it to ensure that it was colorfast - it is.


The charm pack made TWO table runners this size. Plus there were a few charms that were left over that I didn't want to incorporate into this project. I used those on Rylan's scarf and Journey's Christmas dress.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea. I found that same Charm Pack and my Granddaughters made scrappy tote bags with them.

    ReplyDelete