Monday, July 14, 2014

Zucchini... out the Wazoo



 
 
I've often heard that you can't kill squash and zucchini and that you're inundated with them when you grown them.  I've never had the best of luck with them in the past.  The only reason we have so many fruits is that we have a lot of  plants. 
 
Stink bugs seem to be everywhere here and they love to eat everything, especially squash.  Plus it seems like several fruits on each plant mold.  So if we only had a few plants we wouldn't have much squash or zucchini to eat I'm sure.  I think we have about 20 plants producing right now and more coming up. And butternut squash are about 7 inches long.  Fingers crossed that nothing eats them!
 
Every couple of days I am blanching and freezing them.  In the pic above I have 9+ pounds bagged up ready for the freezer.  We're eating it fresh just about every day too.  We may get tired of it soon, but in the winter we will be happy to have lots of it in the freezer.
 
I made fried zucchini the other night and they turned out good, even though I forgot to add salt.  I made them by dredging the slices first in seasoned flour, then dipping them in beaten egg, then a final coating in panko crumbs.  My thermometer broke so I had to wing it on the temp.  As you can see they are a wee bit darker than I would prefer.  I made home made sour cream ranch to dip them in.  Yummy.
 
I am weighing or talllying up everything that we put up this year.  I've tried in the past and petered out but I am determined to get a grand total on everything that we put up this year.  Stay tuned for more exciting posts on vegetables . . .
 


2 comments:

  1. Those durn stink bugs kill my squash too. I've been picking them off and putting them in a jar of soapy water.

    I dehydrated some this year. Can re-hydrate it in soup when I need it.

    p.s., out the wazoo is one of my husband's favorite saying's

    Ramona from Mississippi
    msmitoagain at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, I dehydrated some this year too, with plans to use in soups. I hope I like them... I am going to be doing more this week as we are expecting a freeze.

      Delete